Mumbai Mania!!!!!

Friday, June 25, 2010

I am officially a Mumbaikar, and proud to be one. I came to Mumbai 4 years back after completing my Engineering. Since I was coming from a small town (Bhopal) I had my doubts about the big city. My mother always kept telling me that Mumbai is the residence of evil, every third person you meet in Mumbai is either a pick pocket or a rapist. I was so shit-scared when I came to Mumbai.

I clearly remember I came down all alone, with hell lot of luggage, my brother’s address and some money (4000 bucks only). The first thing I did on landing was to turn my phone on (even though I hate those wannabe’s who turn their phone on as soon as the plane touches ground) and called my mum who was hyper ventilating because I was flying alone for the first time. I was awed by the huge Airport, reason being Bhopal airport is like a miniscule one I think it should not be called an Airport it’s as big as Oshiwara Bus Depot, and I am not kidding. As usual my brother was not there to pick me. I told my mum I am taking a rickshaw, to which my mom flipped, she told me, “it’s not ok to travel in rickshaw take a cab, also when you sit in the cab call your brother with the taxi no. details and tell him if I don’t reach in an hour file a police complaint.” I knew she was over reacting but at the same time I was getting worried it took me 20 mins. to collect my luggage from the baggage counter and when I came out there was a parade of Rickshaw/Taxi drivers all coming towards me first I thought it was the effect of my gold facial I got done a day before but the I realized they were just looking for a passenger. I was surrounded by a crowd of Richshaw and Taxi drivers, everyone with the same question “kidhar jayengi madam??” some were asking the same in English, I was so harrowed, finally I agreed to one guy who seemed pretty decent but was chewing pan and was not even able to speak properly but when ever he spoke the pan spit came out. I knew for sure by his accent that he was a Bihari. But he was really nice and he helped me put my luggage in the trunk of the taxi. That’s what you need in an “anjan shehar” a kind and helping Taxi wala. But he broke his decent helping image when he said he’ll be charging extra for the luggage. It was already 9 pm and for me it was really late.

I was panicking inside so I called my brother and told him I am on my way he told me Yari road is not very far I shall reach in 45 mins max. When I was a little relieved I took a look outside and all I could see was huge glossy hoardings, madness of the traffic and whenever the car stopped at the signal a parade of beggars. I was awed by the scene even the people were looking so different and young unlike Bhopal janta, it was 9:30 already and still so many people on the roads where as in Bhopal the roads are clear after 8-8:30 max. When I was exhausted looking outside I asked the taxi wala”Bhaiya aur kitna time lagega” to which he replied “abhi ek ghanta to aur lag jaeyga bahut traffic hai” I was seriously worried now. The guy who was looking fairly decent at the Airport was now looking a bit like Prem Chopra the only exception being that now he was having a Bihari accent. I have seen many movies where the taxi walas kidnap a beautiful young girl and take her to a dingy location and do things which I can not even write here. I could see my life flashing before my eyes, I was so mad at myself for rebelling against my mum and coming to Mumbai. I was thinking about my family and how I may never be able to see them again; I was too scared to say anything when the Taxi stopped at the signal. Then it got me wondering if this guy is kidnapping me then he shouldn’t stop at a signal as I can run away easily I checked the doors they were also not locked. Then I saw a huge board which read “Versova” and an arrow sign I was relaxed now and was laughing on myself for being so stupid. Anyway I reached my brother’s place after 1:30 hours of sitting in the Taxi. I asked the taxi wala as to how much is the bill he said 350 I was like, what?? Then I paid him off thinking that at least he didn’t rape me.

I was home at last but my first Taxi ride would be so thrilling I had no idea. Even my brother was mad at me for paying so much to the Taxi guy clearly I was made a fool by that Prem Chopra look alike. But ideally I should have been mad at my brother for not coming to pick me up or even coming down the building to help me with my luggage. What could I say “Yeh Mumbai Shehar hadson ka shehar hai” I made safely home that night, which was more than enough but I didn’t know what was in store for this “small town girl” in this mad city.

to be continued…

--
Sneh

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Infinityskins