Monsoon - the most overrated season

Wednesday, July 14, 2010


I have grown up hearing people praise monsoon and how!! There have been poets who have written verses in praise of rains and rainy season. Almost every writer and poet has written good things about the same. People have been having this great affinity for rains. But according to me this season is a bit too overrated, what can be great about filth? It has been 4 years I have been living in Mumbai and unfortunately have witnessed monsoon here. Believe you me rains bring out the worst in Mumbai it is water logging almost everywhere and that too smelly sewer water. Even when the BMC claims they have cleaned all the sewers still some how the filthy, smelly, dirty water finds its way on the main roads. I am put up at Juhu which is one of the most posh areas in Mumbai but I have to face water logging even when it had just rained for 10 mins. It’s just sad. Some times I feel sad for Mr. Bachchan, poor thing he earns shit loads of money and has huge ass bunglows in Juhu still when he steps out of the house he has water logged in the bloody bunglow compound.

I am amazed at the spirit of some people I have a colleague she travels from Worli to Goregaon everyday by Local trains and she is never ever late, she has been working here for past 11 years and I just can’t understand how she manages in the bloody rainy season. When ever I ask her the same she happily replies “Abhi toh mereko aadat pad gayi hai”. This is what is the problem with us “Hum logon ko har cheez ki aadat pad jati hai” and we mould ourselves accordingly nobody wants to do anything about it.

Anyways I am sounding like Krantiveer’s Nana Patekar, I should stop now. The whole deal is when I went to Singapore I was awed by the civic sense of the people and there was a day when it rained heavily there but the water was so clean and I didn’t mind hopping in it, I can’t even imagine doing that here. I will die of the smell only. However coming back to the spirit of Mumbai, have you noticed that whatever happens the people fight every situation and manage to reach work on time, they don’t mind getting wet and walking in knee height water to reach their destination. Amazing isn’t it?

Anyhow, have you ever noticed those beggar kids jumping in dirty water at the signals and smelling like shit and then coming and touching you when you are happily traveling back from work? I am sure everyone has been there and faced that I feel like bloody killing those guys.

Also have you ever experienced something like this, say it is raining heavily you step out of the office to go home and after struggling for half-hour you get a rickshaw and you are thanking god for his mercy, as you are not wet and you have finally gotten a rickshaw, you take out your phone call the love of your life that I’ll be home in whatever-time. Then relaxed you light a cigarette and put your I-pod and having a nice time when suddenly from somewhere this huge SUV comes the driver is playing loud music and comes like wind and splashes water all over and drives away. Leaving you wet and abusing. Even the rickshawwala starts laughing at you condition. Again I get the same feeling of killing the SUV driving bastard.

One more and most important reason to hate monsoon, is I have lost exactly 13 umbrellas in 4 years and have sacrificed at least 6 pair of shoes in the m@#$%^ing rains.

I simply hate Monsoon. I know many of you won’t agree with me, but that is how I am. 
And for those who love the concept of sitting at home and sipping coffee when its raining outside, enjoy!!
--
Sneh

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Infinityskins