"From Rags To Riches & Back!!!!!"

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

This blog is dedicated to all those who have been in the roller-coaster ride of financial ups and downs.

My life in Mumbai was pretty simple. My day used to start with a fight between me and Jojo (my flatmate) as to who will use the bathroom first and the day ended on our bed talking till vie hours.

I was in love with my life we had so little to spend and so many things to take care of. I remember the day when due to bankruptcy (which happened every end of the month) that we used to eat 1 packet of maggi for 2 days.

We used to share almost everything be it clothes, watches, shoes, note books, nail paints. We mostly preferred to travel in a bus than taking the rickshaw all we used to think of was to save our money, which for me was hard earned and for Jojo sent to her by her parents every month. But this scarcity never bothered us when we went street shopping at Bandra we stacked ourselves with month long supply of t-shirts and junk jewelery and osho chappals.. It was the best time of my life.

But then change is the law of nature, I met Rahul and got married in 6 months and even Jojo's parents moved to Mumbai. We had to move out of our lovely flat.

After marriage i was so relaxed as i never had to bother paying the rent every 7th of the month or to buy maggi family packs to feed myself for the month. All i had to do was to work, earn and save(which I never did).

Seeing so much money in my back account was nauseating. I figured out that i cannot save money no matter what and now when i had a husband to take care of almost everything i had my money only to be spent on my nail jobs and my spa treatments. I had the liberty to spend my money the way i wanted. I was finally free to spend my money the way i wanted. I was ecstatic. For the first time in my life i had a credit card and i was free to use it at my will.

All my friends warned me about credit cards but i never believed them i thought they were simply jealous. I learnt my lesson when for the first time i was over due on my credit card and Rahul had to help me, but believe you me that was not the last time. I continued getting over drafted and i managed to pay the bill off in every 2 to 3 months but there was always this time of the month when i was lost and bankrupt. At this point i must also tell you my salary was also 3 times of what i used to get a year back when i was unmarried. I used to manage every thing so brilliantly then but now even when i was rich i was poor every month end.

The only reason i was in this mess was because all my street clothing was now replaced by branded clothes, my junk jewelry was now replaced by diamonds and gold jewelry, my fastrack watches were now replaced by chunky watches from Guess, Esprit,Kennith Cole etc. , my 3 pairs of Osho Chappals were now replaced by 37 pairs of branded footwear ranging from Tresmode to Charles & Kieth, my ever so handy backpack was replaced by 21 stunning bags from all over the world. Even my favorite holiday destination Lonawala was now stylishly replaced by Lankgawi Islands Malaysia.

My life had changed or i must say transformed from one of a girl next door to Mrs. Show Off next door. I religiously go to Nail Spa and spend hours and bucket full of money on getting my nails done but the truth is i still miss those rainy july evenings when me and Jojo painted each others nails sitting on the windowsill and ate Vada Pao.

I have been married now for a year and 3 months I have a loving husband and a brilliant job, but still i m insecure, not because of anything else but because of my own habits. I wish someday my conscience wakes me up and i start behaving like a grown up, but then again i feel I am too young to worry over financial matters. A lot has changed since i got married but some things are still the same like my love for shopping, my love for food and above all my FINANCIAL UNSTABLITY...

-
Sneh

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Infinityskins