Don't Judge A Book by its Movie!!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Don't Judge Book By Its Movie" this is a phrase used by a very famous bookstore in Mumbai, I realized its true meaning sometime back. Well let me explain, I rarely read any books apart from my Engineering Course books and was very happy that way, but when we were in final year of our Engineering all my friends started preparing for MBA entrance exams and unfortunately I had to join the rat race on behest of my family. But let me tell you preparing for CAT is not an easy task, first you have to find a good coaching institute and often you don't get admission in the institute where the college heartthrob goes.

And once you join a coaching you have to prepare yourself to do thinks which you haven't even thought of , like reading novels by great authors to build your vocabulary. This was the toughest thing they could have asked me to do, but i took it as a challenge and started reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. We discussed this book in one of our coaching sessions and i spoke very highly of it, but the truth is i never understood a word of the book, my friends kept on saying it was the easiest book one can read but my take on this is "who cares".Since that day i have not dared picking up another book from Paulo. But, then i couldn't even get through CAT.


After 3 years i was working at Applause Entertainment there I met an amazing girl called Ruth. Ruth was one of those girls who had this amazing sense of humor, i loved her for the same. She is one tomboy and i am the girly girl, but it was like we were complementary to each other, since she was a tomboy she never gave me any complex (Wink!!). One of our friends Kunal kept on teasing us that we were like the perfect gay couple. But the truth was we were best of friends, Ruth introduced me to many wonderful things in my life like
a) Maple Syrup
b) De-tox diet
c) Ares - some software though which you can download movies and stuff

Best of  all she introduced me to the amazing world of Chick-lit. Yes, she introduced me to "Sophie Kinsella" and Shopaholic Series. I wasn't too sure but still i picked up all the books from the series and started reading them and to my disbelief i completed the first book in a day's time. I was in love with the book because it was so relateable. I loved it because I am a shopaholic, my cards also are always overdue, I also have a secret dreamworld like Becky Bloomwood.
Sophie Kinsella became my favorite author that very day.After two months of this love affair of mine with Sophie that i heard that a movie is being made on the Shopaholic series i was so excited I went for the movie first day second show. But to my dismay the movie was a cheap rip-off of the book. I was heart broken.
All the women who had read the book and went for the movie were disappointed and the ones who didn't they found it entertaining. And of course the men who are unaware of the beautiful world of chick-lit assumed that the so hyped Shopaholic Books were as crappy as the movie.

I am also upset with Sophie, how could she let this happen with her creation. But, the bottom line is even though it was a bad-sad movie it earned a lot of money and so did Sophie.
But all said and done one thing remains the way it was , that chick-lit rocks. Today i bought a new book which is supposed to be a British Best-seller, by Kathy Latte, its title is " HOW TO KILL YOUR HUSBAND" . I am hoping its a good read but before i start reading it i need to cover it up as i don't want to give Rahul a heart attack.

-Sneh


2 comments:

Pankaj Ahuja on May 24, 2010 at 7:35 AM said...

Blog about ur learnings from the book :P

Snehil on May 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM said...

definitely.. will be my next blog for sure.. hope u liked this one.. :)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Infinityskins