The Interview : from my point of view

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Today I went for an interview:

There is a big problem with me, I cannot call it commitment phobia but if we look closely it can come under that category, well what I am talking about is that I cannot work for a particular company for more than 6 months. I know it sounds weird but as soon as I am 6 months old in the company have this unignorable itch to move on and by this time I start feeling all sorts of discomforts with my job. But this time I have out shined myself, I have been working at endemol (a television production house)for full 8 months now yes that’s a record may be because I m in love with the team and the theme of the show is also young and vibrant so I have been hanging on. I have been avoiding this voice in my head for quite some time now, which says “move on, you can do better than this.” But yesterday opportunity knocked on my door, yes I am talking about a job proposal, yes these extremely nice people heard about me from the few friends I have and decided to offer me a job. But now this stupid voice in my head is saying “don’t go Sneh this is what you always wanted, stick around.” I know this voice in the head is confusing me big time. Well I had promised to meet these people so I must.

I called up this firm and took an appointment of 2pm in the afternoon, by this time my master (master as in Episode master and not my master because I am my own mistress) had left and I was planning to eat my lunch. I thought of calling these guys and telling them that I will be coming tomorrow but then I thought, beggars are not choosers so its better that I take this opportunity and go and meet these (very kind) people who have considered me for the job. I took a rickshaw to this place which was less than 5 mins from my current office I took a rickshaw whose driver looked really inspired from Tollywood heroes , he was wearing aviator goggles and was smoking in full Rajnikant style, he drove though the traffic like nobody’s business.

I reached the reception and a very rude looking receptionist gave me a weird look the one which says what makes you think wearing this pink and blue cotton salwar kameez will help you get a job in a reputed firm like ours?. I was intimidated by her look but continued in my I-am-just-back-from-Malaysia style, “Hi!! I am here to meet Ms. Joyita; I have an appointment at 2pm.” She again gave me the same look and I realized that it was 20mins past 2. Anyways she gestured me to sit.

I was sitting at the reception sofa, which was again not very comforting, I saw myself in the huge mirror on the opposite wall I noticed that me “Mrs. Snehil D Mehra” who is proclaimed to be one of the best dressers in the city (by myself), today for some reason has chosen to wear a Pink and Blue cotton salwar kameez which is worn out by millions of washes and has faded a little, and classic black aunty style Black flip flops also have put sindoor on my forehead like a typical TV soap daughter-in-law, now I realized why the receptionist was giving me that kind of a look. I got really self conscious but it was too late the rude receptionist asked me to go one floor up and meet the concerned lady. I chose to take the stairs as it will show how sensible I am and how I can walk an extra mile for the job, but actually I was buying time to analyze myself. The only saving grace was my huge silver Espirit watch and of course and the diamonds I was wearing in my ears and fingers(I love you Sasu maa),also I was glad that I had visited Nail spa a day before(will tell you about my love of nails some other time). I reached the 5th floor and a handsome looking man smiled at me, I was suddenly filled with new confidence. A girl showed me to a room where this lady was sipping chai and was probably facebooking, she was the one I came to meet. We shared pleasantries and she told me she was not going to interview me but it will be a guy, I felt so relieved because in interviews I find myself more comfortable with men(I know what your dirty minds are thinking but I m just comfortable because it’s easier to impress a guy than a girl). She asked me to follow the girl who accompanied me to her room. The girl took me to a computer and asked me to take print of my own Resume from my email. I was ecstatic that she asked me to do it myself, I quickly took the opportunity and changed years of experience to 4 which is actually 3. I took the print out and made a face of humble Mother Teresa. The girl asked me to wait as the guy who was supposed to meet was in the washroom.

I was looking around and thinking which cabin will they be giving me. The handsome looking man who was smiling at me earlier emerged from somewhere and I smiled at him again, he came close to me wiping his specs and said “Hi are u Sneh?” I nodded and he said I am Mr. Benerjee and I will be interviewing you, I was shocked for a minute he was a gorgeous man, yes gorgeous is not always used to express charm of a man but he was actually gorgeous. I took a close look at him he was wearing the classic blue jeans and white shirt combination and once he put his glasses on he was looking awesome. He had little grayish hair he might be in his early forties but he looked well kept, I scanned him from top to bottom he was wearing casual brown loafers with his ensemble, I have observed he is a very stylish man but in a subtle way. I was a little shaken with this charming man’s personality but regained my Malaysia return confidence and said “cool lets proceed with the interview.”

He chose to sit outside in the smoking area. He asked me for chai coffee and I was happy that he is chivalrous and sweet too also he had the most deep heavy voice I have ever heard not like Amrish Puri deep but somewhat like Amitabh Bachchan deep, I want to work with this man already. Well he started reading my resume and it felt for a while that he was trying to find out spelling mistakes. I was wondering why he is taking so long, is he stunned by my beauty and trying to cover up by burying his face in the resume or he is really reading it and thinking what a fat liar I am. He lit a cigarette and looked at me for the first time in past 10mins. I was smiling but at the same time hoping that I am not grinning like a “first-time-in-love” teenager.

He thoughtfully asked me, “So you seem to have a lot of experience.” I thought damn he has calculated my years of experience and I am going to be thrown out of this office. But he continued in his deep voice. “Sneh I think your resume is quite intriguing as I have never seen such a detailed and up to the mark resume, I have met some 10 people in past 2 weeks and I think by far yours is the best resume.” I was so happy, thanks to Akshay a long lost friend who helped me make my resume, God bless him. Mr. B kept talking about the company and the responsibilities I will have if I join. He didn’t ask me anything except me current salary, for which again I lied and told them was getting 10 thousand more than what I am actually getting. I was so glad that he was taking my interview. For exactly 45 mins he was speaking and all this while I was either smiling or nodding or saying “exactly”. When he stopped I said a big thank you. He said he will be hopefully calling me back and I was happy again. A. because the lecture was over and B.I couldn’t have sat mute for even a single minute now. I took the lift and didn’t even stop to say a proper bye to the handsome man. I rushed out of the building and dialed my husband’s no. as I had missed his 2 calls during the so called interview. Its such a relief talking to Rahul, I can be me and I know he knows about all my lies, I love him so much because he gives me my space and never asks me how much did I loose in the card party or why is my credit card bill beyond limit. Well I am back to my current office and writing this anecdote. It’s still a mystery as to whether the handsome man will call me back or no but one thing is for sure that it was the best job interview of my life.

-----

Sneh

2 comments:

blaaa on April 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM said...

but y did u rush out of the office so soon..could've chatted with Mr.B fr a while..
anywayjj..waiting to read if u switch it over again or not..!!!
--jojo

Snehil on April 28, 2010 at 11:33 PM said...

i wanted to stay n chat but then i was worried he'll know i was bluffing on my resume..so i thought better would be to maro kalti .. ;)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Infinityskins